Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Moving & Staying Home

In my 24 years of life, I have lived in 15 different homes.  In the past six years alone, I have moved ten times.


When my family arrived in Minneapolis 15 years ago, as we idled in our blue striped 15-passenger van at the top of an exit ramp, I knew this was it for me.  This is where I would spend my life, indebted to this city for welcoming us home.


Where I first fell in Love with this stretch of River
But I find my heart has fallen in love with elsewhere.  Every curve of the road along Wisconsin Highway 35 south of Prescott takes my breath away.  In each town, regardless the heat, I want to kick off my shoes and snuggle deep into overstuffed furniture wrapped in a comforter.


I visited Alma last weekend with a friend, and texted my sister from our lunch table on a patio overlooking the River.  It is because of her & with her that I discovered these towns at all.  During a quarter-life crisis, we considered buying a bakery here, relocating.  She wrote me back on Saturday, "[A]lma, town of deferred dreams."


I wonder: Are they deferred?  Will they ever come to fruition?  What about my life here? Is it possible to love one place so much it makes your heart skip yet to live in another, fully, wholly?


I believe it is and I am determined so to do.  And maybe someday soon, I'll rediscover myself in this place too.

No comments:

Post a Comment