Sunday, November 13, 2011

Rattled Cage

I heard a sermon a few months ago that rattled my cage, as the pastor forewarned it might.  Just as I was settling into the idea of a new home, this guy comes along and challenges me:


Q: Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me?
A: NO!

The following week, I contemplated how to know when and where to move.  On a bike trip, every turn in direction can be a big one; it is important to me not to take a "wrong" turn, lest it result in unintentionally adding many miles.  In my at-home life I'm not so much afraid of the added mileage, but I live in the knowledge that there are wise and unwise decisions.  I try to make the wisest, and I find that these are made in silence and contemplation.

On my wall, I've posted a little note to myself:

Wait here.
The Spirit is "in the World."
Discover stories.
Ask questions.
Be a learner.
Be courageous.

I also added a little footnote:
Migraines / Paring

We took the house.  I moved 2 miles from my previous residence and it has been a long journey.  A sociology student in undergrad, I am beginning to feel the meaning of the term "slumlord," though our neighborhood is far from the slums, our landlord is by no means, well, good at fulfilling said role, nor at respecting our personhood.  Yet patiently I've waited.

Infrequent migraines seep slowly back into my life, and I wonder: what does that mean for me?  I've altered my diet, I keep a ritual bedtime.  Is this the time to move again?  Already?  So soon?  Now that I've written it, it seems too soon.  I want to wait awhile longer, for more proof that This is the time.  But I have an inkling my headaches will only increase.  Do I stay or do I go?

No comments:

Post a Comment