Thursday, September 15, 2011

Prayer

 About a month ago, I wrote this post on prayer.


The temperature on this morning's bike commute hovered in the mid-30's.  As I rounded a corner a mile and a half into the commute, I found myself muttering "Sweet Jesus."  Then I remembered my fervent prayer ritual.  When people ask, "How do you do it?" in reference to winter biking, I only have a few responses:



  • Long underwear, goggles, a balaklava, and lots of socks.
  • Four-letter words
  • I pray. A lot.
Sure enough.  Four blocks north of my school, I approach Christian Park.  As my bike glided across the intersection and I began to ride parallel to the park, I began to pray aloud the Hail Mary in Spanish. (It is a long, unfortunate tale as to how I learned this prayer.)  I do this everyday in the winter.  Somehow, it holds me through the last moments of the cold.

So I guess I do pray sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment